Antique Drawer Pulls
Antique cabinet pulls add a sophisticated accent to your cabinetry. You can use this type of cabinet hardware as a finishing touch for vintage furniture restorations. Embellishing modern cabinets with antique handles is a good way to make contemporary pieces of furniture truly eye-catching.What are some antique cabinet pull styles?
The term ñantiqueî when its applied to drawer pulls generally refers to reproductions of handle pieces that were once popular. Antique pulls are available in many different styles.
- Gothic: Many of these drawer pulls sport anthropomorphized beasts like bats, dragons, and gargoyle-like faces. Some of them are made to look like the decorations on heraldic shields.
- Art Nouveau: Art nouveau is a graphic style that dominated architecture and the home arts from 1890 through 1910. Art nouveau cabinet handles are often stylized representations of natural objects like flowers, leaves, and waterfalls.
- Victorian: Victorian interior d_cor is known for its love for ornamentation. Victorian decorative arts romanticize ornamental trends from bygone eras of history and celebrate Asian influences.
Antique pulls are made from a variety of materials that give them their vintage look and will stand up to use.
- Brass: Brass is an alloy thats made up of varying proportions of copper and zinc. Brass is resistant to corrosion, which makes it a great material for an antique pull handle.
- Cast iron: Cast iron was widely used for decorative arts in the 19th century because the metal was widely available. Reproductions of vintage drawer pulls use this material because of its authenticity.
- Plastic: Bakelite was a very popular material for cabinet handles in the early part of the 20th century. It is usually combined with a metal like brass. While some reproductions of Bakelite and brass drawer pulls are made from the original materials, many are made from durable plastic.
You can incorporate antique pulls into many different types of projects.
- Key racks: Ornamental pulls that are mounted on a piece of wood attached to your wall are a good way to organize keys. Cabinet handles mounted near entryways can also be used to hang scarves and handbags.
- Curtain rod finials: Large antique pulls, antique drawer knobs, and antique door knobs can be attached to the ends of curtain rods to keep curtains from sliding off.
- Art hangers: Antique drawer pulls can be glued to a wall and used to display attractive pieces of art.