Knowing When to Replace Batteries for a Smartphone
Rapidly draining cell phone batteries are a common complaint, and when you consider that they have a limited lifespan, its expected. Apple batteries use Li-ion technology, which offers a significantly longer lifespan and higher power density than previous technologies. Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are a modern technology for electronic portable devices, but will eventually need replacing as their capacity and performance decline.
How Do I Maximize the Performance of Apple Batteries?
While the battery life of your smartphone indicates the amount of time it will run before needing a recharge, its lifespan is the amount of time it will last before you need a replacement. The chemical age and the number of charge cycles affect the lifespan of batteries, but there are a number of things you can do to extend the lifespan and maximize their performance.
- Avoid charging or leaving your cell phone in hot conditions or with the screen directly exposed to the sun for long periods of time.
- You should also keep your phone partially charged, rather than completely discharged, if you are storing it over a long-term period.
What Does It Mean When My Phone Unexpectedly Shuts Down?
An unexpected shutdown may result from a reduction in battery power, which is no longer able to support the full capabilities of the phoneu001aÃ„Ã´s power management system.
- Batteries with a higher chemical age or experiencing temperature extremes are more likely to unexpectedly shut down.
- The performance management system will dynamically manage different system components to prevent unexpected shutdowns, which may result in variations in the deviceu001aÃ„Ã´s performance, such as longer app launch times and lower speaker volumes.
How Do I Know if I Need a New Battery?
Unexpected shutdowns and a rapidly draining phone that constantly needs recharging are both indications that you may need a battery replacement for your iPhone 6. For the 6s and 6 Plus, iOS 11.3 includes a feature that indicates the health of your battery and a recommendation if it needs replacing.
- You can determine the health by going to the Settings in your device.
- You should also check if the performance management feature, which manages the maximum performance of your phone to protect unexpected shutdowns, is turned on. This feature enables after an unexpected shutdown with a battery case that has diminishing power.
- All iPhones have a feature that ensures batteries are operating as they intended for safety purposes, including their internal voltage management and how they behave in hot and cold environments.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Apple.