Color Thermal Printers Offer Quick and Efficient Printing
Thermal printers are a quick and efficient way to get documents, pictures, presentations, and more printed up. They can print in color, wont fade over time, and can print onto a variety of materials, not just paper.What are the differences between thermal printer types?
In the world of thermal printing technology, there are two different kinds that you can choose from: direct thermal printers and digital thermal transfer printers. Direct thermal printers use a digital type-setting method that involves heating a piece of coated thermal paper by passing it over the printer heads. Digital thermal transfer printers that work by melting a ribbon of coating material onto the thermal paper. There are some significant differences between the two types of label printers, but the biggest one is that one uses heat-sensitive paper while thermal transfer printers use heat-sensitive ribbons.What are the features of direct thermal printers?
These printing machines are made using three main components. The head is what generates heat and prints on the paper. The platen is a paper feeding roller. The spring presses the head into the paper. Some of the other notable features of these types of printers include the following:
- No ink required: Due to the thermal technology process that changes the color of the material in the paper, no ink is required for these printers.
- Can print in color: These label printers can be set to print in two colors by heating the material in the paper to two different temperatures.
- Barcode printing: These label printers are optimal for producing barcodes, such as those found on shipping labels, receipt labels, and name tags.
Thermal transfer printers are different from their direct printer counterparts in that they have non-movable print heads. The ribbon is fed past the head where it and the paper are thermally bonded. Some of the other notable features of therm label printing machines include the following:
- No ink required, even for color: These printers can be made to print in any color without ink.
- Does not fade: The thermal images dont fade over time because of the process used to make the images.
- Highly resistant: The labels are highly resistant to extreme heat and chemicals.
- Not limited to paper: These thermal printers can print on paper, wood, metal, and plastic.
The machines have fast rate of printing. The heads can create images in milliseconds, dramatically increasing output speed and the image takes a shorter time to dry. Because neither machine uses traditional cartridges of ink, there are less than a handful of components in either model and, as such, they are far less prone to breakdowns. You wont have to worry about replacing toner or printheads as often.
Because of the thermal process, the images will be more resistant to oils, UV rays, the climate, and other elements. Due to the fact that thermal printers have less moving parts, they are able to print high volumes of images over an extended period of time. This means a higher overall printer output.