Upgrading your Motherboard and CPU
If you are thinking of upgrading the motherboard in your old computer, it will give your PC a new lease on life. It will speed up the performance of your PC and open up a whole new range of options.
Why should I replace the motherboard
The following are some of the reasons why you should upgrade your PC with a new motherboard and CPU:
- Faster CPU. If you upgrade to a newer CPU, you will definitely see a considerable performance boost.
- Faster RAM. If your current board still has DDR2 RAM, you will see a speed difference if you upgrade to an LGA775 board with DDR3 SDRAM, for instance.
- To Fit Better Graphics Cards. If you are a serious gamer or do a lot of video editing, an upgrade to a newer motherboard with an LGA socket and a better graphics card will make your old PC feel like a whole new machine.
- Faster Data Transfers. Making the upgrade to USB 3.0 increases the transfer speed between different pieces of hardware. USB 3.0 has a maximum rate speed of 5 gigabyte per second but the maximum speed of high-end SSDs is only around 2 gigabyte per second.
How do I select an LGA775 socket motherboard?
Making a selection is not as difficult as you might think. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when shopping for a replacement board:
- Make sure that the board fits into your PCs case. Most manufactures use ATX cases and ATX boards these days, but just make sure.
- Remember the higher the bus speed, the better the performance. Most processors work with a range of speeds.
- Modern DDR3 motherboards have onboard hard drive controllers. Make sure that you compare the controllers rated speeds and the supported hard drives.
- Consider onboard FireWire, USB 3.0, and sound and network hardware.
- Check which type of RAM is supported, and the maximum amount of RAM that the memory slots on the LGA socket board can accept.
Which DDR3 motherboard can I get?
There are a wide variety of DDR3 LGA775 motherboards available from various manufacturers, such as the following:
- Asus P5GG41T-S3L. Has Intel G41 Express processor with PCI-E socket.
- SuperMicro C2SBX. Has an Intel Core 2 Quad processor with a clock speed of 3 GHz and a bus speed of 1333 MHz. The DDR3 motherboard has three expansion slots and four memory slots.
- Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3. The board contains an Intel processor with a clock speed of 2.66 GHz. It has 4 GB of RAM.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by brands listed above.