Fishing Fly Boxes
In the sport of fly fishing, the various flies are intended to mimic the movement of the different bugs that fish could be hungry for. Since there are so many types of little insects that could be a fishs meal, there are many kinds of flies available. A fishing fly box can be used to house all of the different gear that you may have.What is the basic design of a fly box?
Fly boxes are built to be lightweight, durable, functional, and able to withstand the elements that a fisherman might run into. They usually come in one piece, with one half opening up after youve disengaged the latch, clasp, or zipper holding it together. You can find small ones that would fit in a vest pocket, medium ones that could be carried in a tackle box or backpack, and larger ones designed to hold an entire collection. The medium and larger fly boxes sometimes come with a swing leaf, which could potentially double the amount of storage you have available. They could have small feet on the exterior to add in stability and/or rubber strips to prevent them from slipping on a surface. Some fly boxes have handles built in to them.What are the materials used in making fishing fly boxes?
The materials used to make a fly box could be one or more of the following:
- High-impact plastic: This type of plastic provides protection and structure without adding too much weight.
- Foam: Many boxes have foam on their interior as padding and cushioning support for the flies themselves.
- Clear plastic: Having a transparent cover allows a fly fisherman or woman to quickly see whats inside the case without having to open it up.
- Rubber gaskets: Boxes may have a rubber gasket or other type of water-resistant material to help keep out water.
- Stainless-steel: The hinges and/or the box could be made out of this type of metal, which can be used around the water and is strong and lightweight.
A fishing fly box could be divided into different compartments. You could keep a fly in each compartment. If you need storage for streamers, look for boxes with a few larger compartments. A fly box could also come with foam that you could hook the flies to. In this case, the foam in the box would be pre-cut to aid in organization.What are some brands of fly boxes available?
There are many companies that make fishing boxes, and some of them are listed here:
- Scientific Anglers
- Montana Fly Company
- Lost Creek