An Ice Fishing Auger Buying Guide
When you go ice fishing, you need to drill a hole through the ice before you can cast your line. An ice auger can do the job, and these tools come in many varieties. On eBay, you can find affordable new and preowned ice augers and simplify your buying experience.What factors should you consider when choosing an auger?
First, you need to consider the exact conditions in which you will be ice fishing. If the ice is very thick, you may need a stronger ice fishing auger. You should also figure out how much power you will need to cut the ice. Depending on your needs, you may want to consider an ice fishing auger that is electric as opposed to manual. Finally, you need to determine ahead of time the size of the hole you want to cut in the ice.Some features of ice fishing augers
Here are some features that may be available with ice fishing augers:
- Motors: Power augers come with two or four-cycle motors. The four-cycle motors generally are cleaner to use and more effective but cost more than the two-cycle motors.
- Type of Blades: Ice fishing augers can have one, two, or four blades. A more recent innovation is a serrated blade that cuts through ice like teeth.
- Horsepower: For those ice augers that are not hand-operated, the amount of power you can bring to bear is important when cutting through thick ice.
- Number of Blades: Some ice fishing augers have several different blades of varying diameters, so you can cut several types of holes.
Some brands of ice augers listed on eBay may include:
- StrikeMaster Honda-Lite Power Auger: This auger has a four-cycle engine. Since you dont have to mix your fuel with oil, you can keep the device cleaner.
- Eskimo Hand Ice Auger: This is a manual auger that has several different blade sizes. It is adjustable to fit various needs. The pommel handle helps make it easier to manually drill through the ice.
- Ion 40V Electric Ice Auger: This is an electric system that does not need fuel to run. Instead, it uses a 40V lithium-ion battery that can drill nearly 50 holes without needing to be recharged.