Womens Leather Coats & Jackets
A quality womens leather jacket or coat can last a lifetime when cared for properly. Whether looking for a lightweight womens leather jacket or a long heavy leather coat, with so many sizes, types and styles, it can seem a bit overwhelming. Here are some guidelines to help make the decision easier.
How do you choose a womens leather jacket or coat?
- Look for womens leather jackets or coats that are made of quality, durable leather. The larger the size of the animal, the more durable the leather will be in both thickness and weight. Also, keep in mind that high-quality jackets, coats, and parkas are those made from premium leather.
- Quality construction is another important consideration for the jacket or coat. Check the cut, lining, stitches, and seams for quality workmanship.
- Decide what type of jacket is needed. Since womens leather jackets and coats can last a lifetime, it is important to choose one that has a timeless style.
- Consider the length of the leather jacket or coat as well as the type of lining, thin or quilted. Quilted lining is often the warmer option.
- Ask yourself if a simple vest or blazer is more weather appropriate or if a heavy parka is a better fit.
- Make sure the jacket is the proper size, fits in the sleeves, and offers ease of movement. Consider what type of clothing will be worn underneath the jacket or coat. If it is to be worn over bulky sweaters, you may want to buy the next size up.
- The type of collar is important, and there are numerous collar styles, from casual to formal. For example, you may want to consider a womens leather jacket with a fur-trimmed collar or sleeves for a touch of elegance.
What are the different types of leather?
- Cowhide leather:: The most common leather. Cowhide is tough, durable, and resistant to dirt and water.
- Bison: Similar to cowhide in durability, but with a thicker grain. Commonly used in protective motorcycle wear.
- Deerskin: Supple and soft leather that is often used in jackets and gloves.
- Goatskin: Soft, light, and flexible leather. Good for jackets and is commonly used in flight jackets.
- Lambskin: Excellent for softness and suppleness, with a luxurious texture. It is a good choice for vests, blazers, or jackets.
- Calfskin: Has some of the toughness of rawhide as well as some of the suppleness and lightweight feel of lambskin.
What is a suede jacket?
A suede leather jacket refers to a style or type of finish applied to the leather. Suede has a napped finish and is commonly used in jackets, vests, shoes, gloves and purses. Suede can be made from any type of skin but is most commonly made from cowhide..